Home » Other » Community Hangout » Trip to Scotland
Trip to Scotland [message #314432] Wed, 16 April 2008 12:07 Go to next message
ThomasG
Since the topic came up here. :

I'm going on a boat trip from Banavie up the Caledonian Canal and Loch Ness to Inverness this fall.

If you have any insider ideas on what to visit that is not common tourist knowledge comments are welcome. Wink

Re: Trip to Scotland [message #314437 is a reply to message #314432] Wed, 16 April 2008 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Do you plan to search for the so-called Loch Ness monster?
Re: Trip to Scotland [message #314440 is a reply to message #314437] Wed, 16 April 2008 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Not really search as such.

But we are thinking about at least signing some sort of agreement between all the co-travelers that if one of us is eaten by it the others are allowed to sell the photographs to the highest bidder.
Re: Trip to Scotland [message #314530 is a reply to message #314432] Thu, 17 April 2008 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S.Rajaram
It could be in your list. But these places are worth a visit

a) Ben-Nevis (Nevis Range)
b) Aviemore (Cairngorm Mountain)
c) Isle of Skye (if you like driving you will enjoy it. Having said that it's not as fun as driving in autobahn)
d) Fort-Williams. Also drive from fort williams to inverness via lochness is a good/scenic drive.
e) Edinburgh.

Nice place to visit.

Regards

Raj
Re: Trip to Scotland [message #314568 is a reply to message #314432] Thu, 17 April 2008 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Thomas, as a Scotsman, my suggestion has to be Whisky related Wink If you get the time and if you like a dram, get yourself over to Craigellachie. It is about an hour's drive along the A9 - A95 Just North of Dufftown (You'd be following signs for Kieth) It has a hotel called the Craigellachie, an absolutely fantastic place tight on the Spey River. Best of all, it has a bar with the widest range of Single Malts commercially available anywhere (Last count I think there were about 750 on their shelves). You could also visit the Glenfiddich Distillery (Dufftown) or one of the many other distilleries in the area that lie on the 'Whisky trail'.
Enjoy

Oh, and when in Fort William make sure that you get you photo taken at the 'End of the West Highland Way' signpost. (I was there last year after having walked the WHW from Milngavie).

[Updated on: Thu, 17 April 2008 03:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Trip to Scotland [message #314929 is a reply to message #314568] Fri, 18 April 2008 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Thanks. We will most likely be in the Fort William area a day or so.

We'll see if we add a few days by car at the end, of if we stay on the boat full time. Depends on how much we find to see on the canal and lakes themselves. But Whisky is definitely on our to-do list. Wink

Re: Trip to Scotland [message #314932 is a reply to message #314929] Fri, 18 April 2008 05:41 Go to previous message
pablolee
Quote:
But Whisky is definitely on our to-do list
Glad to hear it Smile
One of my current favourites is a Glengoyne 17 yr old, and I can't see past a good Macallan.
Enjoy
Previous Topic: done
Next Topic: just for fun..
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:08:44 CDT 2024