Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Unable to use existnig oraInventory location during installation (Oracle 11g rel2 , O/s hp-ux 11.31)
Unable to use existnig oraInventory location during installation [message #437560] Tue, 05 January 2010 00:53 Go to next message
kesavansundaram
dear sir / madam,

iam installing oracle 11g rel2 ( o/s : hp ux 11.31 ).
already we have 11g rel1 installed in the machine
where oracle inventory location is /oracle/oraInventory
where /oracle is ORACLE_BASE directory..

cd /oracle
ls -ltr
drwxrwxr-x 4 ora11gr1 dba 8192 Aug 30 00:19 oraInventory

now when i install oracle 11g rel2 on the same machine, it should use the existing oraInventory..but it is prompting us to enter the new location for oraInventory during installation....
but as per the naming convention, we need to keep inventory directory under /oracle/oraInventory only..

when i select oraInventory location as /oracle/oraInventory from wizard, iam getting below error:

[INS-32055] The Central Inventory is located in the Oracle base.
[INS-32035] Unable to create a new central inventory at the specified location.

pls advise on the same ...

should i uninstall the exisitng oracle 11g rel1 and then should i install rel2 (i.e what iam trying to install now ) ?
if so, after instlaling rel2, then should i install rel1 ?

thank you,
kesavan

[Updated on: Tue, 05 January 2010 01:40] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unable to use existnig oraInventory location during installation [message #437564 is a reply to message #437560] Tue, 05 January 2010 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
Quote:
INS-32055: The Central Inventory is located in the Oracle base.
Cause: The Central Inventory is located in the Oracle base.
Action: Oracle recommends placing this Central Inventory in a location outside the Oracle base directory.

Goodluck Smile
sriram Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 05 January 2010 01:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unable to use existnig oraInventory location during installation [message #437574 is a reply to message #437560] Tue, 05 January 2010 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
ONLY use code tags for code (or result table) NOT for text.

Regards
Michel
Re: Unable to use existnig oraInventory location during installation [message #447663 is a reply to message #437560] Wed, 17 March 2010 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smirredc
I have a similar problem using silent install. In my case the oracle_base and orainventory is in different directories. I have even tried to let the installer create the orainventory. The orainventory is empty although in this case the server is my test server so I had a couple of failed installs. Each time I reinstall I only clear out the ORACLE_HOME and oraInventory. Am I missing something else?
Re: Unable to use existnig oraInventory location during installation [message #447727 is a reply to message #447663] Wed, 17 March 2010 10:21 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
smirredc wrote on Wed, 17 March 2010 01:44
I have a similar problem using silent install. In my case the oracle_base and orainventory is in different directories. I have even tried to let the installer create the orainventory. The orainventory is empty although in this case the server is my test server so I had a couple of failed installs. Each time I reinstall I only clear out the ORACLE_HOME and oraInventory. Am I missing something else?

It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/

We can't see what you do or what you got.

>Am I missing something else?
Yes, obviously but you don't provide any details that would allow us to guess exactly what.

Previous Topic: Encryption issue
Next Topic: 10g ASMM mechanism
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 09:13:26 CDT 2024