Home » Other » Marketplace » Breaking into DBA work
Breaking into DBA work [message #469935] Fri, 06 August 2010 08:37 Go to next message
Roachcoach
Hi ladies, gents.

I'm attempting to shunt my career from database user/developer into the DBA side of things. Its something I really, really love and will quite happily read over the papers etc in my own time - I find it fascinating. And that's a first for any system in my career to date.

I'm working towards my OCA certification (hopefully sitting the DBA I exam by the end of this month) having already gotten SQL expert squared away. I've a database running at home etc so I can practise with the aspects I cant use on the work box (restricted rights).

I'm doing about everything I think I can reasonably be doing to get as much training as possible.

Background out of the way, my question is this: have any of you either earlier in your careers or as hiring managers had to break into the field/take on staff at a junior level without any true 'commercial' DBA experience (although I do have extensive Oracle time behind me, just not DBA)? Would you have any advice on what options I have?

I'd initally thought once I get the OCA dropping my CV into various companies with a covering letter explaining my situation but that feels a bit...well, weak really. I'm committed to this path and would move heaven and earth to get into this kind of role but the problem I'm running into is I dont have the experience/junior DBA positions are like the proverbial hen's teeth.

I looked into an internal transfer to our DBA team, however, due to resource issues my current team couldnt free me despite the DBA team specifically asking for me (which was a really nice confidence booster all the same)

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks in advance.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 August 2010 08:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Breaking into DBA work [message #469968 is a reply to message #469935] Fri, 06 August 2010 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rahulvb
1/ Since you have no DBA Exp you might have to compromise on Salary !!
2/ If YES to 1/ then Start with Small Firm where they need DEV and DBA too.
3/ OCA might help but you need hands on. ( Just OCA Does not work in the field , this will help to short list the CV ).
4/ if you Get internal transfer then THAT WOULD be BEST + Find one good Mentor Smile

ALL THE BEST.
Re: Breaking into DBA work [message #469993 is a reply to message #469968] Fri, 06 August 2010 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I hope you'll make your dream come true.

That day, and the days to come, I'm sure that your developers will be lucky ones because they will have a DBA who was once a developer and who will understand their needs somewhat better than someone who was a DBA all his/her professional life.
Re: Breaking into DBA work [message #470006 is a reply to message #469993] Fri, 06 August 2010 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
If I didnt have bills to pay I'd probably do it for free Smile Though yes, I'm not expecting anything like a usual DBA wage, but thats fine, I'm not interested in DBA work for the money. The money is a bonus to me.

Small firms is a pretty good call though, certainly cant hurt.

Thanks Littlefoot Smile
Re: Breaking into DBA work [message #470014 is a reply to message #470006] Fri, 06 August 2010 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
If I were in your position, I would try the big consultancies. I see you are based in the UK, so try Logica, CSC, Cap Gemini, and so on. They all have Oracle practices, and they need OCP qualified staff to maintain their Oracle partner status and for the CVs they present to clients. And they are big enough to keep a few people on the shelf until needed. Write to the Oracle practice manager, you can probably find out who that is with a few phone calls.
I should warn you though - no-one ever says "well done" to a DBA, the best you can hope for is that no-one knows you are there. And as for an Apps DBA: that is a life of pain....
icon14.gif  Re: Breaking into DBA work [message #470017 is a reply to message #469993] Fri, 06 August 2010 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rahulvb
Littlefoot wrote on Fri, 06 August 2010 13:02
I hope you'll make your dream come true.

That day, and the days to come, I'm sure that your developers will be lucky ones because they will have a DBA who was once a developer and who will understand their needs somewhat better than someone who was a DBA all his/her professional life.

Absolutely, YOU Said It LittleFoot /forum/fa/2115/0/
Re: Breaking into DBA work [message #470159 is a reply to message #470014] Mon, 09 August 2010 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
John Watson wrote on Fri, 06 August 2010 21:34
If I were in your position, I would try the big consultancies. I see you are based in the UK, so try Logica, CSC, Cap Gemini, and so on. They all have Oracle practices, and they need OCP qualified staff to maintain their Oracle partner status and for the CVs they present to clients. And they are big enough to keep a few people on the shelf until needed. Write to the Oracle practice manager, you can probably find out who that is with a few phone calls.

Also a very good idea, thank you.

John Watson wrote on Fri, 06 August 2010 21:34
I should warn you though - no-one ever says "well done" to a DBA, the best you can hope for is that no-one knows you are there. And as for an Apps DBA: that is a life of pain....

That's alright, no-one says thanks as it is, I already live under the assumption that if no-one is speaking to me I'm doing it right Smile
Re: Breaking into DBA work [message #470258 is a reply to message #470159] Mon, 09 August 2010 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rahulvb
Roachcoach wrote on Mon, 09 August 2010 02:37

That's alright, no-one says thanks as it is, I already live under the assumption that if no-one is speaking to me I'm doing it right Smile

Yes No News is Good News.
Re: Breaking into DBA work [message #470873 is a reply to message #470258] Wed, 11 August 2010 04:40 Go to previous message
AleciaBrent
All the best for your Future...Smile

---------------------------------------
e discovery

[Updated on: Wed, 11 August 2010 04:43]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: DBA vs D2K
Next Topic: Oracle applications consultants needed urgently for Singapore
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:48:54 CDT 2024