Home » Other » Community Hangout » OTN forum woes
OTN forum woes [message #479863] Tue, 19 October 2010 17:01 Go to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Lately, if you try to access the OTN forums, you are more likely to get their generic error message than anything else:

http://www.oracle.com/splash/forums/index.html

that says:

Quote:

Oracle forums is experiencing technical difficulty. We are aware of the issue and are working as quick as possible to correct the issue. Please try again in a few moments.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

To speak with an Oracle sales representative: 1.800.ORACLE1.

To contact Oracle Corporate Headquarters from anywhere in the world: 1.650.506.7000.

To get technical support in the United States: 1.800.633.0738.

Since the url for this error page contains the word "splash" it has become known by that. In the following thread on their feedback forum:

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1772059&tstart=0

somebody said:

Quote:

Today it would probably be more accurate to name this site Oracle Community Splash Screen Error, with a note that there is the occasional chance you would find a forum instead.

When we were finally able to post a reply, they all posted in triplicate. Also, I haven't received any watch emails in about a year and several other features work sporadically as well.

Re: OTN forum woes [message #479915 is a reply to message #479863] Wed, 20 October 2010 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As of watch e-mails: work fine for me. Received one today.
Re: OTN forum woes [message #479952 is a reply to message #479915] Wed, 20 October 2010 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
That's interesting. There are a few of us that have posted that we don't get watch emails, while others say they do not have a problem. I have double-checked everything. My OTN profile has the correct email address, which is the same one that used to work, my watches are being created whenever I post or reply, and it is not going to my junk mail. OTN once said that they cannot send to yahoo mail, but I have hotmail. What do you have? Except for the response about yahoo mail, OTN has simply ignored complaints from those of us that have problems getting watches as they ignore most other complaints. Even when they fix something, it is only temporary and will stop working with the next batch of changes, so I have given up complaining about anything and just use what I can when I can and spend most of my time here on this forum instead.

P.S. Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing. I have no problem with watch emails for this OraFAQ forum and never have. I am talking about the OTN (Oracle Technology Network) forums hosted by Oracle corporation using jive software.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 October 2010 07:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OTN forum woes [message #480021 is a reply to message #479952] Wed, 20 October 2010 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Yes, it is OTN Forums I was talking about. e-mail address I registered with OTN is my work e-mail address (.hr domain).
Re: OTN forum woes [message #480023 is a reply to message #480021] Wed, 20 October 2010 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Ah, finally I found it! We discussed OTN downtime and you, Barbara, even asked OTN Forum admin to put a link to OraFAQ when OTN is down. At a time, I read only several messages on the OTN thread, here (now I read most of it) and it turned out that OTN people don't like OraFAQ much. The funny things happened when Donald Burleson joined the discussion. Take a look, if you have some time to spare.
Re: OTN forum woes [message #480041 is a reply to message #480023] Wed, 20 October 2010 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Littlefoot wrote on Wed, 20 October 2010 19:31
The funny things happened when Donald Burleson joined the discussion.

Thought that was a given.
Re: OTN forum woes [message #481195 is a reply to message #480041] Mon, 01 November 2010 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ora1980
who is burleson ?
Re: OTN forum woes [message #481201 is a reply to message #481195] Mon, 01 November 2010 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
What is google?

Regards
Michel
Re: OTN forum woes [message #481204 is a reply to message #481201] Mon, 01 November 2010 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ora1980
common, I do refer to his websites to some of his solutions, I mean, exactly who is he ? Does he work for oracle corp ? A lot of people seem to know him

Re: OTN forum woes [message #481206 is a reply to message #481204] Mon, 01 November 2010 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Common, just use Google and you will have the answers to your questions (and much more and you will know who he thinks he is and who others estimate he is).

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Mon, 01 November 2010 16:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OTN forum woes [message #481208 is a reply to message #481206] Mon, 01 November 2010 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I have seen a lot of things by and about Don Burleson, but can't recall having had any direct conversation over the internet. I know that he has a company that does consulting for people who use Oracle databases, he has written a lot of books about Oracle, and maintains a website with some Oracle tips. He frequents the OTN forums and has responded on asktom.oracle.com. I know that he has had some technical disagreements with Tom Kyte and others regarding things like flushing the shared_pool and pinning queries in a typical environment, much in the same manner that Steven Feuerstein and Tom Kyte disagreed on the efficiency of implicit versus explicit cursors years ago. Some of the debates have become rather heated and were compounded by somebody other than Don Burleson posting using his name. Don Burleson and his wife run an organization that breeds and trains miniature horses as substitutes for guide dogs for the blind. Whether you like his approach to database administration or not and whether you like his personality or not, he is certainly an interesting character.
Re: OTN forum woes [message #481210 is a reply to message #481208] Mon, 01 November 2010 16:44 Go to previous message
ora1980
well he certainly looks like someone who knows what he is saying, But going through the otn link, one would say the man has high ego for sure.
Previous Topic: HrOUG
Next Topic: cyber clean
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:28:04 CDT 2024