Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Adding hours and minutes to time
Adding hours and minutes to time [message #494151] Fri, 11 February 2011 09:45 Go to next message
ahazin
Hi guys, I currently have a problem where I have two date fields with time stamps. The only bit i am currently interested in in these fields is the time factor. When i display them in their field they have a format of HH24:MI .

I have a start time and end time as well as a duration and duration type. What I am trying to do is the following: when the user inputs the start time, along with the duration say 1 for example and the duation type of say HRS for example I would like to have the end_datetime default to 1 HR from the current start time. This is the code I use on a when validate item trigger to acheive this:

case :blk.duration_type
when 'HRS' then
:blk.end_datetime := :blk.start_datetime + ((1/24)* :blk.duration);
when 'MINS' then
:blk.end_datetime := :blk.start_datetime + ((1/24/60)* :blk.duration);

However, everytime it triggers the value put into end_datetime is 0:00 is it something to do with the datatypes im using or would anyopne have a solution to this problem? any help would be very much appreciated.

Re: Adding hours and minutes to time [message #494161 is a reply to message #494151] Fri, 11 February 2011 11:00 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
SQL> select sysdate, 
  2         extract(hour from to_timestamp(sysdate)) hrs,
  3         extract(minute from to_timestamp(sysdate)) mins
  4  from dual;
SYSDATE                    HRS       MINS
------------------- ---------- ----------
11/02/2011 17:59:42         17         59

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: unexpected error from EXEC_SQL:921ORA-00921:Unexpected end of sql command
Next Topic: autherization key
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 12:52:42 CDT 2024