Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » sql/pl-sql execution platform in Form 6i (merged 2) (Oracle Database 10g,Forms 6i,Windows XP)
sql/pl-sql execution platform in Form 6i (merged 2) [message #504048] Thu, 21 April 2011 04:59 Go to next message
kamransagri
Hi,

I have an understanding that the code written in Forms 6i will be executed by the oracle forms 6i run time on the client machine whether it be a sql/plsql .

kindly confirm my understand or guide me if there is any other thing .

e.g i am using the following query in the procedure( of forms 6i interface ).

insert into emp_remote
select ename from emp@db1;

so where the above query would be executed , on client machine or server named db1.

Re: sql/pl-sql execution platform in Form 6i [message #504054 is a reply to message #504048] Thu, 21 April 2011 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
I don't believe you're right there. I would assume that insert statement would be submitted to the DB forms is connected to and executed there.
To check just trace the forms session in the DB.
Re: sql/pl-sql execution platform in Form 6i [message #504061 is a reply to message #504054] Thu, 21 April 2011 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kamransagri
let my rephrase my question ,

whenever we use form 6i to run application then where does the code get executed on server / on client or it depends on the type of code as you said insert statements get executed on server.

is there any document which defines the architecture of forms run time i-e which type of code executed where ?

kind regards.
Re: sql/pl-sql execution platform in Form 6i [message #504065 is a reply to message #504061] Thu, 21 April 2011 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
SQL will be DB certainly, it can't meaningfully be anything else since it involves direct interaction with DB objects. PL/SQL probably be in the forms engine - can't remember if that's the client or the server.
Execution of SQL [message #504088 is a reply to message #504048] Thu, 21 April 2011 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kamransagri
Hi,

I am using forms 6i on windows xp to connect db 10g ,I wanted to know where the execution take place of code written in Forms 6i.

whether sql/pl-sql code written in forms client is executed on client machine to in the database server.

if is there any resource to look this matter into detail then kindly refer it .

kind regards,
Kamran Sagri.
Re: Execution of SQL [message #504089 is a reply to message #504088] Thu, 21 April 2011 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
I believe it is the client side. It has it's own engine. For example, you cannot use analytics in 6i or even CASE statements I believe (this is all just from memory, so I cannot be sure), even if you connect to a 10g database.
Re: Execution of SQL [message #504092 is a reply to message #504089] Thu, 21 April 2011 08:51 Go to previous message
cookiemonster
@kamransagri - please don't cross-post. I've merged your new post into the original.

I really don't believe sql is executed on the client. It may well be syntax checked - since the client does run some stuff (forms built-ins if nothing else) so has to be able to work out for itself what is sql and what isn't. Hence the inability to run case statements directly in 6i.
However, from memory, if you run a db trace on a forms session you'll see all sql statements as is. So they're being run by the DB. Since they're accessing DB objects it really can not work any other way. You can't load the tables up into the client and access them from there.
Previous Topic: open application word 2010 with forms developer 6.0-Windows 7
Next Topic: Applying Different Background Colour
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 13:06:34 CDT 2024