Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Form to read unix file system
Form to read unix file system [message #511757] Tue, 14 June 2011 22:54 Go to next message
sethumurugan
Hi,

I would like to develop a form which will be replica of windows explorer.

It should be able to read all files or files from a specific folder from an unix platform.

Has any one does similar to this. if yes can i have a template. I do not want to start from the scratch since I do not have much time.

Sethu
Re: Form to read unix file system [message #512353 is a reply to message #511757] Sun, 19 June 2011 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
In my opinion, you chose a wrong tool for that task. Oracle is a RDBMS. Forms is a tool that is used to create programs ("forms") that are primarily used to interact with data stored within the database.

Now, although there is a way to access files stored in a file system (you'd use webutil to do that, for example), you either "read" contents of these files or "write" into them.

Browsing directories, viewing files and their contents, copying files from one directory to another and similar "file browser" tasks are simply out of Forms' range. I guess that this might be done, but most probably shouldn't, just as you wouldn't use a spoon to dig a tunnel (although you might try and, up to a certain level, succeed).
Re: Form to read unix file system [message #512531 is a reply to message #512353] Mon, 20 June 2011 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sethumurugan
Hope if i explain you the situation, ou might be able to appriate the need for form like that.

We have a Live application server where all of our forms will be maintained. As well as the report files, other uploaded files will be available in the same server.

When ever there is need to enhance a form / report, fix a bug in a form / report we follow the process as mentioned below

Download those forms/reports from our live server
    Do the neccesary task
    Test in test server
    Once it is tested it will be moved to a location in a test server.
    We will inform the Admin about the modified form or report.
    Admin will take a back up excisting form with date and time stamp
    Then the modified form will be moved to live server and it will be accessable by the users.

Except the first and last step every step will be handled by the user himself.

to minimize the dependancy for admin, we have decided to provide a provition to download a form from our live server which is unix server. Then we have developed a form which will read and show all the directories and files. then user can download the form or report by himself.

Now i found that the form is not user friendly. So I want the form to be changed which could be user friendly.

Before starting from scratch, i thought if any one has done anything specific to that, i can use it.

Its my mistake that i have mentioned replica or windows explorer. sorry. I want that kind of user interface like tree structure of file directories, and right panal to display the files and dirctories of the folder selected in left panal. But all these only with read rights.

If it is not available, then I thought I can do it on my own.

Re: Form to read unix file system [message #512600 is a reply to message #512531] Tue, 21 June 2011 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Once again: in my opinion Forms is a wrong tool to do that.
Re: Form to read unix file system [message #512602 is a reply to message #512600] Tue, 21 June 2011 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sethumurugan
What else could be the solution for this situation? I said already we have a form for this.
Re: Form to read unix file system [message #512621 is a reply to message #512602] Tue, 21 June 2011 04:08 Go to previous message
cookiemonster
Why are you not using source control?
You shouldn't be downloading files off of the live server in the first place. You should have all the files in source control and the developers can get them from there. Then they only need to be uploaded.
Previous Topic: Forms 10g Global Variable
Next Topic: ORA-03114 error when lauching web form
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 07 16:10:08 CDT 2024