Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Migration to forms 6i (Forms 6i, Windows 7 Prof.)
Migration to forms 6i [message #551808] Fri, 20 April 2012 17:03 Go to next message
cypdon99
We have an application running on Forms 5.0.6.8.0 and
Reports 3.0.5.8.0 for the past 10 years... I have two main issues from the begining could not sort to-date...
Issues are:
1. I use host() to call reports,for ex:
a) I run a report works fine
b) Now I goto any other master screen and just query some data
c) Now I want to run any of the reports, nothing works..
To generate the report I have to open another instance of application then I can run the report... In this instance again same story repeats... I dont know what is the problem...

2. We are financial company, lot of dependancy on excel ... I want export reports to excel but there is no option...

Is there any solution... if I migrate to forms 6i these two issues will be sorted out ... Please suggest me.

Thanks

[MERGED by LF]

[Updated on: Sat, 21 April 2012 02:39] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

want to migrate..please help [message #551827 is a reply to message #551808] Sat, 21 April 2012 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cypdon99
Please help!

I want to migrate from forms 5.0 to reports 3.0 to forms 6i, reports 6i.

Please brief me in short on how to go...
Please share any links of related documents if any...

Thanks!
Re: want to migrate..please help [message #551830 is a reply to message #551827] Sat, 21 April 2012 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You migrate from an obsolete version to another obsolete one, not very wise.

Regards
Michel
Re: Migration to forms 6i (2 threads merged by bb) [message #551835 is a reply to message #551808] Sat, 21 April 2012 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Forms 6i & Windows 7 is a questionable combination. I've read that people managed to make it work, but - it is not supported and you can only *hope* (and pray) it'll really work as expected. Perhaps you should consider upgrading to a more recent version (say, 10g at least. 11g is the current version).

As of Excel issues: have a look at some of Excel-related discussions. Obviously, it is possible (although I have never did that), and some Forum users are capable of providing assistance if you ever need it.

I don't know how large your application is (how many forms and reports), so this is just a note: do you know Application Express? Perhaps you could migrate to apex instead? It offers - by default - export to Excel feature. However, its reports aren't really state-of-the-art, so have another look at iReport which lets you publish your reports as PDF, RTF, XML, XLS, CSV, HTML, XHTML, text, DOCX, or OpenOffice.

Quite a few options (I'm sure I didn't mention all of them). Perhaps you should hire a consultant to help you make the best decision for your business.
Re: want to migrate..please help [message #551843 is a reply to message #551830] Sat, 21 April 2012 06:38 Go to previous message
cypdon99
Michel Cadot wrote on Sat, 21 April 2012 01:42
You migrate from an obsolete version to another obsolete one, not very wise.

Regards
Michel

Hi,

In middle-east so many clients are still using even forms4.5 on winxp ans forms6 on windows 7 without any problems..they are pretty comfortable with that...there are many ministries running the same setup.

Migrating to 10g is a very big thing... instead one can goto .net damn good more over easy to get resources also... whereas getting people on forms reports is very difficult now a days...

Even though considering the migrate option dont know how long they support further down the line...

I dont understand why oracle stopped client server version... like Microsoft...look at VB there you can have web and client server as well... Oracle just ditched all !!!

Thanks!

[Updated on: Sat, 21 April 2012 06:42]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: set horizontal for each tab pages in a tab canvas
Next Topic: Displaying Tab canvas on content canvas
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 22:35:08 CDT 2024