Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Adding Image manipulating java class (Forms11gr2, win xp 32bit)
Adding Image manipulating java class [message #560528] Fri, 13 July 2012 20:18 Go to next message
The new Guy
Hi guys

Our system stores images on the unix filesystem. We scan full page images.
Our image specs are:
black and white: tiff, group4 compression, 300dpi. so files are about 40-80k compressed
photograpshs/gray scale: jpeg/jpeg compression 256 gray scale. Some images can be 2megs...but most of them are about 400-700k

We build a demo with forms10G/application server 1 year ago and performance was really bad. Took about 10-15 seconds to generate a report with 1 image of it...compared to about 1-2 secs using forms 6i.
We just installed weblogic 11G (10.3.5) with forms 11gr2. I'm guessing performance will still be an issue but we will still be testing it. In the meantime I would not mind playing around with other solutions.

Our users currently use nfs to access images on the unix server. So that would not changed.

Anybody knows of an image manipulation java class/solution (free or almost free) that I could import in my forms and that could do the following.
- read_image from filesystem (c:\ unc path //server/images/.../1.jpeg)
- zoom in, zoom out (having vertical/hori scroll bars to move around...or best would be panning)
- save_image on filesystem
- fit to window/cancas
- always keeping aspect ratio
nice to have options, but not needed at this time
- save in blobs
- editing capabilities (mostly just select an area to delete, like black borders...some speckles here and there)

Any image geeks out there....lol

Thanks guys
Re: Adding Image manipulating java class [message #560549 is a reply to message #560528] Sat, 14 July 2012 03:59 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I don't know whether you'll find this useful at all (probably not), but - here you are. I don't know Java and can't assist about it. However, I thought that - if you'd be interested in such a solution - you could call an Apex application from a Forms one.

This is an application developed in Apex 4.1; database is 10g R2, operating system is MS Windows Server 2003. Images are stored on the server (all JPGs, taken by a digital camera). So, what does the application do?
  • it allows uploading images from the client computer to the server (UTL_FILE, DBMS_LOB)
  • using DBMS_SCHEDULER, it runs an external task and calls Windows' Task Scheduler job which resizes these images (the originals are much too large for our needs) (we use PhotoResize; really cool) and copies resized images & thumbnails to different locations
  • viewing images: there are numerous JavaScript image galleries available so I picked several of them. One of these does nice zooming - Image Power Zoomer. My users didn't like it, though, so I implemented another ones (no zooming): jCarousel Lite and Galleria. As it is all about web pages, a stored procedure reads images (UTL_FILE) and creates a page source (HTP.PRN). That procedure is used as Apex page's source.
  • I haven't implemented any editing capabilities.
Previous Topic: how to restrict update
Next Topic: FRM-92100
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 22:36:59 CDT 2024