Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Top down organizational structure (oracle reports 10)
Top down organizational structure [message #565274] Mon, 03 September 2012 00:21 Go to next message
rocky_007
Dear Gurus,

I am struck in a requirement to show the organization structure in a Top Down Organizational structure.
Is there any way we can make the well structured report OR form???

I am attaching a sample taken from the internet as what exactly I require...
Please send your views...
  • Attachment: 1.JPG
    (Size: 49.48KB, Downloaded 638 times)
Re: Top down organizational structure [message #565277 is a reply to message #565274] Mon, 03 September 2012 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
This is a "hierarchical query" (search for this term to get familiar with how Oracle deals with it). Both Reports and Forms can display output in that manner. Here's a SQL*Plus example:
SQL> select
  2    lpad(' ', 2 * level - 1) || ename employee
  3  from emp
  4  start with mgr is null
  5  connect by prior empno = mgr;

EMPLOYEE
----------------------------------------------------
 KING
   JONES
     SCOTT
       ADAMS
     FORD
       SMITH
   BLAKE
     ALLEN
     WARD
     MARTIN
     TURNER
     JAMES
   CLARK
     MILLER

14 rows selected.

SQL>

You'd use the same type of a query (modifications are possible; check the documentation); I don't have Forms nor Reports here to show how the output looks like in these tools.
Re: Top down organizational structure [message #565278 is a reply to message #565277] Mon, 03 September 2012 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rocky_007
Thanks Littlefoot, I tried using this query only and was succeeded to show the names vertically, but the management wants the names to be displayed horizontally with proper linings. Can we display the results horizontally???

Please give it a try.
Re: Top down organizational structure [message #565279 is a reply to message #565278] Mon, 03 September 2012 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As far as I can tell, this is the way that Oracle supports. Maybe it is possible to display the output as your management requires, but I wouldn't know how to do that. Someone else might, though.
Re: Top down organizational structure [message #565280 is a reply to message #565279] Mon, 03 September 2012 01:35 Go to previous message
rocky_007
Thanks Littlefoot, I really appreciate your kind interest.

Is there anyone else who can help me in this case please... Confused Confused Confused
Previous Topic: Procedure Execution Taking Too Long
Next Topic: Unable to form relationship
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 10:21:51 CDT 2024