Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Problem with trigger when-validate-item (oracle forms 10g ,windows xp pack2)
Problem with trigger when-validate-item [message #573494] Sat, 29 December 2012 12:58 Go to next message
goldray
Hi all ..
i want to check my item to became unique in my database and the item exist in the database ,it must be clear(this item) !! ,so i use trigger when-validate-item for this item and trigger when-timer-expired for the form global ..
this is my code :
//trigger when-walidate-item :
i number;
vTimer TIMER;
begin

IF //condition then
i := show_alert('ERROR');
/* Create a timer with a 10 Millisecond delay */
vTimer :=create_timer('TEMP',10,no_repeat);

end IF;

end;

//trigger when-timer-expired
GO_BLOCK ('name_block');

:name_block.item1:=NULL;

DELETE_TIMER('TEMP');

But in runtime ,i was this error :
FRM-40202 Field must be entered !!

thank you Smile
Re: Problem with trigger when-validate-item [message #573497 is a reply to message #573494] Sat, 29 December 2012 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Why a timer? WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM is capable of handling such a requirement itself.
declare
  l_exists varchar2(1);
begin
  select null
    into l_exists
    from your_table t
    where t.id = :block.item_name;

message('Such a value already exists in the database');
  :block.item_name := null;
  raise form_trigger_failure;

exception
  when no_data_found then
    -- OK, no problem - it doesn't exist
    null;
end;

However, why wouldn't you let Oracle handle that? Create a table and indicate that the item should be unique (either make it a primary key, unique key, or create a unique index on it). If you do that, Oracle won't let you save a duplicate.
Re: Problem with trigger when-validate-item [message #573500 is a reply to message #573497] Sat, 29 December 2012 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goldray
thank you for the answer Smile
if i let oracle handle that ,i should be fill the next item and when the boutton will be pressed ,the error message is displayed ..
i have a question , what's the function of "raise form_trigger_failure ; " ?
thank you Smile
Re: Problem with trigger when-validate-item [message #573501 is a reply to message #573500] Sat, 29 December 2012 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE is an exception; when we RAISE it, form (trigger in this case) stops the execution.

[Updated on: Sat, 29 December 2012 13:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem with trigger when-validate-item [message #573503 is a reply to message #573501] Sat, 29 December 2012 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goldray
thank you very much Smile
the problem is solved Smile
i have a question ,if i want to add another condition of this item (must be not null) the code will be like this ?? :
		if condition1 then
				i := show_alert('ERROR_CODE_GR');
							 :block.item1:=null;
end if;

//condition NOT NULL
	if :block.item1 is null then
			j:=show_alert('err2');
		end if;

exception
  when no_data_found then
    null;
		end;

thank you Smile
Re: Problem with trigger when-validate-item [message #573504 is a reply to message #573503] Sat, 29 December 2012 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
No, you don't code that. Open item's Property Palette and set its "Required" property to YES. Forms will, then, take care about it.
Re: Problem with trigger when-validate-item [message #573505 is a reply to message #573504] Sat, 29 December 2012 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goldray
it is already required !!
but i want to display message when this item 's null
Re: Problem with trigger when-validate-item [message #573506 is a reply to message #573505] Sat, 29 December 2012 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Forms will display it for you, don't worry.
Re: Problem with trigger when-validate-item [message #573507 is a reply to message #573505] Sat, 29 December 2012 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goldray
so i must to set "required" to no and create this code :
		if condition1 then
				i := show_alert('ERROR_CODE_GR');
							 :block.item1:=null;
end if;

//condition NOT NULL
	if :block.item1 is null then
			j:=show_alert('err2');
		end if;

exception
  when no_data_found then
    null;
		end;
Re: Problem with trigger when-validate-item [message #573508 is a reply to message #573507] Sat, 29 December 2012 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goldray
i know that forms handle that but i want to display error message (because i must follow the set of specification )!!
Re: Problem with trigger when-validate-item [message #573522 is a reply to message #573508] Sun, 30 December 2012 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
If you don't want Forms to do the dirty job, then yes - you have to code it manually.

From my point of view, you should post actual code and - please, format it ... indentation you use is awful. If you don't know how to do that, here you go (have a look - it will take 10 seconds of your time to review it, but - if you follow the instructions - your future posts will be improved).

Code you posted doesn't need that EXCEPTION handler section at all - there's nothing there that is capable of raising the NO_DATA_FOUND.
Re: Problem with trigger when-validate-item [message #573536 is a reply to message #573522] Sun, 30 December 2012 10:06 Go to previous message
goldray
thank you for to advices and I will be more careful about indentation soon
Previous Topic: icon in unix forms 6i [merged 2 by jd]
Next Topic: How to get ip address in forms 6i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 12:37:06 CDT 2024