Home » Other » Community Hangout » OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you?
OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you? [message #619380] Tue, 22 July 2014 02:05 Go to next message
Lalit Kumar B
The new UI of OTN forum which was recently upgraded seems horrible to me. What about you guys? Complete navigation has changed, I am kind of lost, they have a video uploaded to explain the changes, however, it won't be easy to get used to it so soon.

Earlier, at least Google would return the searched forum like SQL & PL/SQL on top to navigate quickly, now I don't get it with google search, instead I have to visit the site, search for the required forum. Huh! Too much time taking.

Regards,
Lalit
Re: OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you? [message #619429 is a reply to message #619380] Tue, 22 July 2014 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Unfortunately for me, the OTN Forums now seem to be blocked in my office Sad
Re: OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you? [message #619430 is a reply to message #619380] Tue, 22 July 2014 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
I am completely locked out since it refuses to accept my (previous) credentials.

after the following page

https://login.oracle.com/mysso/signon.jsp

I am redirected to URL below

https://community.oracle.com/sso-error.jspa

which displays text below

SSO Error
An error occurred while attempting authentication through single sign-on (SSO)
Click here to try again.
Re: OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you? [message #619434 is a reply to message #619430] Tue, 22 July 2014 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
For me after login it seems like I have visited some social networking site such as LinkedIn. I see an inbox at top hand right side. Post login, I am asked to choose a default community. Weird, never saw any technology forum in such style.
Re: OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you? [message #619468 is a reply to message #619434] Tue, 22 July 2014 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Change is usually hard enough to get used to as it is, but it seems that each version of the Jive software that the OTN forums run on gets to be a more confusing mess. Fortunately, prior to the so-called upgrade, I had subscribed to some things like the Text forum, so I get emails with a link that I can click on every time there is a post in that sub-forum or space or sub-space or whatever they are calling it now. Through trial and error, I have been able to find some other things. It appears that it is a work in progress and despite the fact that the planned upgrade period has come and gone, there are some things that are still being populated, as they say.

By googling for:

"sql and pl/sql" site:community.oracle.com

I was able to find the "Space: SQL and PL/SQL | Oracle Community":

https://community.oracle.com/community/database/oracle-database-options/sql_and_pl_sql/content

Once I either click on a link from an email or use a link like the one above, then I am able to log in and post.

For those of you who are unable to log in, I believe you should be able to post problems on the feedback forum without logging in. Please try the link below.

https://community.oracle.com/community/technology_network_community/otn_community_feedback/content?customTheme=otn

If you are still unable to post on the feedback forum or can't even get to the feedback forum, then please post what you would like me to type on your behalf and I will post it for you, indicating that it came from someone who isn't even able to get to the feedback forum to post the problem.

However, it might be a while before I notice your response here, because I am still not getting emails from OraFAQ, so I just have to check the control panel here periodically.
Re: OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you? [message #619475 is a reply to message #619468] Tue, 22 July 2014 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Barbara,

I am unable to post anything without logging in.
I suspect that I might know what the problem may be.
I started the process to create a new account & saw that the password must be 8 characters long.
My old password which worked before the upgrade was only 6 characters long;
so the new software may refuse to attempt the login process since what I type can not be valid under the new version.
Since I can't login now, I can't change my password.

Oh WELL!
Re: OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you? [message #619480 is a reply to message #619475] Tue, 22 July 2014 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I posted the following on OTN:

https://community.oracle.com/message/12552244#12552244

OTN forum login problems posted on OraFAQ

There are a lot of people, including me, who browse and post questions and answers on both the OTN forums and the OraFAQ forums. Since the upgrade, a discussion has been started on an OraFAQ thread about inability to login or post on the OTN forums, even to tell someone that they can't login or post. I offered to relay their problems here, since I can post. So, below is an example of one person's problem. Please advise me what I should relay back.

"I am completely locked out since it refuses to accept my (previous) credentials.

after the following page

https://login.oracle.com/mysso/signon.jsp

I am redirected to URL below

https://community.oracle.com/sso-error.jspa

which displays text below

SSO Error

An error occurred while attempting authentication through single sign-on (SSO)

Click here to try again."

"I am unable to post anything without logging in.
I suspect that I might know what the problem may be.
I started the process to create a new account & saw that the password must be 8 characters long.
My old password which worked before the upgrade was only 6 characters long;
so the new software may refuse to attempt the login process since what I type can not be valid under the new version.
Since I can't login now, I can't change my password."

Re: OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you? [message #620474 is a reply to message #619480] Fri, 01 August 2014 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
10 days have passed since I posted the above on the OTN feedback forum. There has been no reply from anybody from Oracle, just somebody else adding a similar problem to the thread, so apparently your problems have been ignored. I added another post to that thread calling that to their attention today. What I would suggest is to create another account, use that account to access the OTN feedback forum and post your problems individually. Once you can do that, you might also consider using whatever contact and reporting options are available on the single sign-on page. I think part of the problem may be that the OTN forum administration is considering that this is a single sign-on issue, which is managed by other people, not the forum administration staff. Good luck and please let us know here what ultimately happens.
Re: OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you? [message #620492 is a reply to message #620474] Sat, 02 August 2014 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
The OTN post finally got some attention:

Quote:

Re: OTN forum login problems posted on OraFAQ
Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
Srini Chavali-Oracle Aug 2, 2014 6:51 AM (in response to Barbara Boehmer)

Pinging moniquevdb-oracle and BrianW-Oracle

The titles of the people he is "pinging" are:

moniquevdb-oracle
Community and Infrasctructure Manager

BrianW-oracle
Manager, Community Platform
Re: OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you? [message #620510 is a reply to message #620492] Sun, 03 August 2014 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Another member, not an Oracle employee, has suggested that you can email (replacing the obvious):

otnfeedback_us at oracle dot com

Re: OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you? [message #620514 is a reply to message #620510] Sun, 03 August 2014 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
@Barbara, thank you for your efforts. I will also try to find a way to reach OTN moderators/admin/respective community managers, once I join Oracle. Just 4 more days. Perhaps, it might take 2-3 days to complete my induction program.
Re: OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you? [message #620515 is a reply to message #620514] Sun, 03 August 2014 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Moreover, as I am more used to OraFAQ, I couldn't find any PM functionality in OTN community forums to reach the responsible audience.

@Barbara/BS/others, sorry if I am unaware of the fact, is there any PM functionality alike OraFAQ in OTN?
Re: OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you? [message #620523 is a reply to message #620515] Sun, 03 August 2014 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Lalit Kumar B wrote on Sun, 03 August 2014 10:36
Moreover, as I am more used to OraFAQ, I couldn't find any PM functionality in OTN community forums to reach the responsible audience.

@Barbara/BS/others, sorry if I am unaware of the fact, is there any PM functionality alike OraFAQ in OTN?

Last I heard, which was in January of 2014, the OTN forum has that functionality, but it is disabled. The impression I got was that it may be enabled sometime in the future, after the more important features are working properly. Someone pointed out that if you are going to enable PM, you also need to enable the option to block it.

Re: OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you? [message #620774 is a reply to message #620523] Wed, 06 August 2014 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I received a reply from Moniquevdb-Oracle saying to refer users to the link below. Please let me know if anything in that link helps any of you with your OTN login problems or not.

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/contact/about-your-account-070507.html
Re: OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you? [message #621718 is a reply to message #620774] Sat, 16 August 2014 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
How is this going? Has anyone's login problem on OTN been solved or have you made progress? Have you tried the email or link provided? I am not seeing any mention of progress here. On the OTN forums, I don't know what temporary substitute logins may have been used, so I can't tell who here is who there. I do see a lot of ongoing unsolved login problems being reported on the OTN forums.

Re: OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you? [message #621759 is a reply to message #620774] Mon, 18 August 2014 00:49 Go to previous message
Lalit Kumar B
Barbara Boehmer wrote on Wed, 06 August 2014 11:19

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/contact/about-your-account-070507.html

I have a bizarre issue. I cannot use my previous SSO credentials inside the Oracle network, I can only use the internal employee SSO credentials, so I also had to use above link to request for an account merge.
Previous Topic: Question to former OpenWorld presenters
Next Topic: Readers, Writers et al.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:22:27 CDT 2024