Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Reports bug or feature
Reports bug or feature [message #88697] Tue, 04 February 2003 06:18 Go to next message
nik
hi,
In reports 6i we encounter the following scenario.

When we need to add a new column to an existing report it is necessary to add the new column in the SQL query window as per usual. We do nothing else and compile the report. What we find is that doing this causes reports to rename a number of other columns in that it appends a "1" or "2" and we lose the "Source" value for all related items (and others sometimes, even though we have not made any changes to that item)

We understand that this happened it v 2.5 but not as extensive as v 6.0. Please note that we have recently upgraded our v 2.5 to v.6. Do we need a patch ?

Another issue that has caused some frustration is that when a report is run via the "Traffic lights" and we know that an error exists in the report, e.g. an item has an invalid or null source this error is only highlighted when running through the "Runtime Preview" and not through "Traffic lights" run. Traditionally in v2.5 if a report ran (error free) via the traffic lights it was assumed that it was error free and put live.

Is this a bug or should we always test report output via "Runtime Preview" now in v.6 (which we incidentally do because we have to) not that its bothering us but you can understand how this has "caught" us out.

My version details are here and we appreciate any advice anyone may be able to give us.

Thank you.

We run our IDS Developer suite on P4/Windows 2000 Pro. 256ram.

Report Builder 6.0.8.11.3
ORACLE Server Release 8.0.6.0.0
Oracle Procedure Builder 6.0.8.12.1
Oracle ORACLE PL/SQL V8.0.6.0.0 - Production
Oracle CORE Version 4.0.6.0.0 - Production
Oracle Tools Integration Services 6.0.8.13.0
Oracle Tools Common Area 6.0.5.32.1
Oracle Toolkit 2 for Windows 32-bit platforms 6.0.8.12.1
Resource Object Store 6.0.5.0.1
Oracle Help 6.0.8.12.1
Oracle Sqlmgr 6.0.8.11.3
Oracle Query Builder 6.0.7.0.0 - Production
PL/SQL Editor (c) WinMain Software (www.winmain.com), v1.0 (Production)
Oracle ZRC 6.0.8.11.3
Oracle Express 6.0.8.3.5
Oracle XML Parser 1.0.2.1.0 Production
Oracle Virtual Graphics System 6.0.5.37.0
Oracle Image 6.0.5.34.0
Oracle Multimedia Widget 6.0.5.34.0
Oracle Tools GUI Utilities 6.0.5.35.0
Re: Reports bug or feature [message #88698 is a reply to message #88697] Tue, 04 February 2003 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ravi
Hi Nik,

Your both the bugs are valid but i don't know Oracle will call it a bug or not........and i belive there is no PATCH also.

Your first issue..lets say we have Q_1, in that you have colums like A,B,C and for this query you already designed the layout also,
Now we are adding a Q_2 with same columns i.e. A,B,C definetly in Q_2 when you see in the data model editor someting like A1,B1,C1.
But your first query i.e. (Q_1) layout feilds Sources should remain same as it is.It sholud not get disturbed.

Why Reports 6i will Append like .....(appends a "1" or "2") as you said
because if in a query you are using some column name and with that same column name you are creating some other query Or you created a parameter in reports lets say emp and now you are creating a query in reports like select emp,empno etc. etc.....in that case also when you see a datamodel editor you can see inside query it will be emp1.

JUST AN ADVICE:- try to avoid using same column name for two different query always use aliasing in queries ex.
Q_1
Select emp f1,
empno f2,
ename f3,
job f4
From emp

Q_2
Select emp e1,
empno e2,
ename e3,
job e4
From emp

With this atleast you can aviod you problem like(we
lose the "Source" value for all related items (and others sometimes, even though we have not made any changes to that item))

Your Second issue... i don't think that its a bug because there are two things here one is Live Previewer view and Runtime Previewer, in live Previewer you can do any change and see the effect immediatly but you cannot do the same in Rumtime Previewer. so what you feel is right................
(should we always test report output via "Runtime Preview")

regards
Ravi
Re: Reports bug or feature [message #162554 is a reply to message #88698] Sat, 11 March 2006 03:34 Go to previous message
rp_agr

Dear Ravi ,

By chance I am also Ravi. And I also facing the same problem in report 6i
The suggestion given by you to Mr. Nik for first problem do not work.
I have use query like this
select emp emp, nm nm from emp

in above query it also change the column
as
emp1,nm1

So there is any solution.

Ravi Prakash Aggarwal

Ravi wrote on Tue, 04 February 2003 08:16

Hi Nik,

Your both the bugs are valid but i don't know Oracle will call it a bug or not........and i belive there is no PATCH also.

Your first issue..lets say we have Q_1, in that you have colums like A,B,C and for this query you already designed the layout also,
Now we are adding a Q_2 with same columns i.e. A,B,C definetly in Q_2 when you see in the data model editor someting like A1,B1,C1.
But your first query i.e. (Q_1) layout feilds Sources should remain same as it is.It sholud not get disturbed.

Why Reports 6i will Append like .....(appends a "1" or "2") as you said
because if in a query you are using some column name and with that same column name you are creating some other query Or you created a parameter in reports lets say emp and now you are creating a query in reports like select emp,empno etc. etc.....in that case also when you see a datamodel editor you can see inside query it will be emp1.

JUST AN ADVICE:- try to avoid using same column name for two different query always use aliasing in queries ex.
Q_1
Select emp f1,
empno f2,
ename f3,
job f4
From emp

Q_2
Select emp e1,
empno e2,
ename e3,
job e4
From emp

With this atleast you can aviod you problem like(we
lose the "Source" value for all related items (and others sometimes, even though we have not made any changes to that item))

Your Second issue... i don't think that its a bug because there are two things here one is Live Previewer view and Runtime Previewer, in live Previewer you can do any change and see the effect immediatly but you cannot do the same in Rumtime Previewer. so what you feel is right................
(should we always test report output via "Runtime Preview")

regards
Ravi

Previous Topic: problem printing from reports 2.5 on windows XP
Next Topic: Oracle MVIEW Refresh Error for Discoverer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 01 10:12:55 CDT 2024