Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Data base views with parameters
Data base views with parameters [message #128585] Tue, 19 July 2005 10:30 Go to next message
sudhakark
Hi,
I need to use Oracle Discoverer plus in my application. So, I need to display the records based on the logon user name.
i.e consider that there is a table called employee, emp_salary.
Using discoverer if select these two tables, then all the users will see the entire records in these tables(assume that the user do not give any criterias. User uses simple select * from table_name). But in my case, this should not happen.
Think that if there are 10 oracle discoverer users and they have access to these two tables. When one user selects the employee salary table, then I should display the records that are related to that log on user name or id and should not display any other records.

I thought that I should create a view for each user. This view stores the employee logon name alone. Then create another view for employee salary and relate this view the first view. So for each user there will be two views. The administrator will create business areas for each user and assigns the respective views to each user. I think this will solve the issue. But I need to know is there any possibility of passing parameters to a database view. If it is possible, then I need to use the USER function to get the current oracle logon name. If these two are possible then I can pass the logon name directly to the view. So that I can eliminate too many business areas.
Please help me in solving this issue

Re: Data base views with parameters [message #128588 is a reply to message #128585] Tue, 19 July 2005 10:44 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
A VPD (Virtual Private Database ) or FGAC ( fine grained access control) is your solution.
We use this along with Discoverer / portal and get authenticated against LDAP.
Previous Topic: which version of oracle reports supports xls output.
Next Topic: reports conversion from 6i to 10g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 27 15:48:46 CDT 2024