Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Oracle forms connecting SQL Server
Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #286321] Fri, 07 December 2007 03:05 Go to next message
mann.rulz
Could anyone please guide me in detail to connect Oracle Forms 9i/10g with MS SQL Server database?

To connect with Oracle Database, we need to copy and paste the tnsnames.ora file from the Oracle Database folder to the Oracle Forms folder.

But how do i connect with other databases like SQL Server, MS Access, and so on?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #286342 is a reply to message #286321] Fri, 07 December 2007 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
You can do that using Heterogeneous Services. Search for HSODBC.

MHE
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #286379 is a reply to message #286321] Fri, 07 December 2007 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
azamkhan
Dear checkout the ODBC configuration. ODBC allows connective of databases.

Regards,
Azam Khan
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #286439 is a reply to message #286379] Fri, 07 December 2007 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mann.rulz
Thanks for the reply.

Could you please tell me in detail about the configuration of the ODBC driver to for the SQL Server to connect with Oracle Forms?

Or could you please give some useful detailed reference so that I can learn properly?

Thanks.
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #286457 is a reply to message #286439] Fri, 07 December 2007 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
To get you started:
Link
link
link

At Oracle technet (otn.oracle.com) you'll find more information and if you have MetaLink access: look over there too.

MHE
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #286488 is a reply to message #286457] Fri, 07 December 2007 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mann.rulz
Now I'm fully in a confused and frustrated state. Each person is saying different solutions for the problem. One person is saying to connect using ODBC driver while other is saying to connect JDBC driver. Actually which driver should I configure? Also no one is giving a clear picture for the problem.

How can I get a detailed solution for this problem (with screen shots) which include step by step procedure to configure a driver?

Thanks.
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #286490 is a reply to message #286439] Fri, 07 December 2007 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mann.rulz
Following is what I got from Oracle Forum:
""""<<<
You should be aware that Oracle SQL is not quite the same as Microsoft SQL, so some of your code will give errors.

In the past, Oracle did a product called Oracle Gateway Server, which acted as a interpreter layer between Oracle applications and MS SQL Server - it would be worth investigating this, as I think it is your best hope.

Assuming that you can connect forms to MS SQLServer direct (and I have my doubts), I would expect that it would be via a JDBC driver....

However, Microsoft's own docs say: "It is not possible to modify an Oracle Forms application for interoperation with a Microsoft® SQL Server™ database, and it is recommended that applications of this type are rewritten." source: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/solutionaccelerators/cits/interopmigration/unix/oracleunixtosql/or2sql17.mspx

cheers,

J

"""">>>>
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #286519 is a reply to message #286490] Fri, 07 December 2007 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
I'd go for an ODBC on the database server, using HSODBC. It worked quite well on a data warehouse project using OWB. I fail to see why it wouldn't work for Forms.

MHE

[edit]note: that's a personal preference.

[Updated on: Fri, 07 December 2007 16:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #286558 is a reply to message #286519] Sat, 08 December 2007 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mann.rulz
So, I would be pleased if you could please guide me with step by step procedure to get connected with Oracle Forms using SQL Server?

Or atleast some reference site where I can find the same.

Thanks.

Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #286874 is a reply to message #286558] Mon, 10 December 2007 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Well, Metalink has several documents on this subject but I'm not allowed to post them. If you search on the web you get detailed descriptions too.

I'll see whether I see time to make a quick MS Access-based example, but don't hold your breath. I do have a full time job.

MHE
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #286878 is a reply to message #286874] Mon, 10 December 2007 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
azamkhan
Yes dont depend on MHE. He usually do this.
Laughing
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #286922 is a reply to message #286878] Mon, 10 December 2007 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Ok, here it is. A small example using Access instead of MS SQL Server.

NOTE: No guarantees whatsoever. This example just shows how to connect to an Access database from within Forms. I strongly suggest that you do this from the database and not from forms directly. But for the sake of the example, here goes:

Environment:
  • WIndows XP
  • Oracle 10g XE
  • MS Access 2003
  • Forms 10g

STEP I:
Create a simple access database. In this example, it is "C:\orafaq\Orafaq.mdb". This database contains a single table, called "emp" with the columns "ename" and "empno".

STEP II:
In the ODBC Data source administrator, you need to add a System DSN pointing to this database. So you select "MS Access Driver" and add the name "OrafAccess" in the data source name. Make sure you've added the correct .mdb file (orafaq.mdb)

STEP III:
Now we set up the HS init file: it's name is fixed (init<ODBCNAME>.ora). It contains only two lines of code:

$ORACLE_HOME/hs/admin/initOrafAccess.ora:
#
# HS init parameters
#
HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO = OraFaccess
HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL = 0

STEP IV:
Next, I changed the listener.ora of my XE database:
$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora:
added in SID_LIST:
    (SID_DESC =
         (SID_NAME = OrafAccess)
         (ORACLE_HOME = <oracle_home>)
         (program = hsodbc)
        ) 

STEP V:
$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora:
The setup of the HSODBC is done, and we need to make it accessible for our Oracle users. Like any other database there has to be an entry in the TNSNAMES.ORA file:
ORAFACCESS =
   (description =
    (address = (protocol=tcp)(host=localhost)(port=1521))
     (connect_data = (sid=orafaccess))
     (hs=ok)
   )

STEP VI:
bounce the listener. You can do this befor step V, but I just did it in this order.

STEP VII:
SQL*Plus:

SQL> create database link orafaccess using 'ORAFACCESS';

Database link created.

SQL> desc emp@orafaccess
 Name                                      Null?    Type
 ----------------------------------------- -------- ----------------------------

empno                                              NUMBER(10)
 ename                                              VARCHAR2(50)

SQL> create synonym access_emp for emp@orafaccess;

Synonym created.

SQL> desc access_emp;
 Name                                      Null?    Type
 ----------------------------------------- -------- ----------------------------

empno                                              NUMBER(10)
 ename                                              VARCHAR2(50)

SQL>

STEP VIII:
In Forms we make a basic form:
- data block wizard
- table Access_emp
- key mode UPDATEABLE (rowid won't work)
- empno = primary key
- layout wizard
- tabular design

I added double quotes (") around the column names in the property palette. I also added the following triggers:
ON-COMMIT:
BEGIN
   COMMIT_FORM;
END;

ON-LOCK:
BEGIN
   NULL;
END;

ON-DELETE:
BEGIN
   DELETE_RECORD;
END;
I'm not 100% convinced that the ON-DELETE trigger is necessary but it didn't hurt. The ON-LOCK trigger and ON-COMMIT triggers were necessary due to differences in Access locking mechanism. I can't tell whether it will work like that in MS SQL Server...

Test the form. Enjoy!

How's that as a step for step explanation Very Happy.

MHE

[edit]typo...again

[Updated on: Tue, 11 December 2007 01:13]

Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #286958 is a reply to message #286922] Mon, 10 December 2007 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
/forum/fa/1578/0/
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #324048 is a reply to message #286958] Fri, 30 May 2008 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
After wasting several hours on detecting why do I keep getting the following annoying message (although I did everything Maarten suggested (right; I thought I did), I thought I might share the solution; just in case someone hits the same wall:
SQL> select * from attendance@dbl_ms;
select * from attendance@dbl_ms
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-28500: connection from ORACLE to a non-Oracle system returned this message:
[Generic Connectivity Using ODBC][Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source
name not found and no default driver specified (SQL State: IM002; SQL Code: 0)
ORA-02063: preceding 2 lines from DBL_MS

Solution: HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO (set in Step #3) parameter has been defined as a User data source name (in Step #2). Don't do that! Read carefully and you'll see
Maarten
In the ODBC Data source administrator, you need to add a System DSN pointing to this database.

So - remove User DSN and add System DSN.

I know, I'm stupid. Don't follow me.
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #324249 is a reply to message #286922] Sun, 01 June 2008 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abed24

Thank you Maaher Smile

Regards
Abdellatif
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334334 is a reply to message #286321] Wed, 16 July 2008 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm_kanish05

HI Maaher,

Greate, But i am facing some problem on the step.

upto it is clear

Database link created.

next step i am getting error

SQL> desc emp@orafaccess
Error:
ora-02019: connection description for remote database not found

what may be problem it is?

kanish
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334347 is a reply to message #334334] Wed, 16 July 2008 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I guess that there's no ORAFACCESS database alias in your TNSNAMES.ORA file.
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334366 is a reply to message #286321] Wed, 16 July 2008 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm_kanish05

Hi
i show my steps

step 1: over/forum/fa/4641/0/

step 2: over

step 3:ORACLE_HOME/hs/admin/initOrafAccess.ora:

# HS init parameters
#
HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO = OraFaccess
HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL = 0

#
# Environment variables required for the non-Oracle system
#
#set <envvar>=<value>

step4:ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora:

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: G:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

ORACLE10 =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = systems)(PORT = 1521))
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = oracle10g)
    )
  )

ORAFACCESS =
   (description =
     (hs=ok)
   )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = PLSExtProc)
      (PRESENTATION = RO)
    )
  )

step 5A:

Database link created

step 5B:

SQL> desc emp@orafaccess
ERROR: 
ORA-28545: error diagnosed by Net8 when connecting to an agent 
Unable to retrieve text of NETWORK/NCR message 65535 
ORA-02063: preceding 2 lines from ORAFACCESS 

the new error found now.what could be problem. please help me

kanish
  • Attachment: pic1.JPG
    (Size: 28.45KB, Downloaded 15837 times)
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334377 is a reply to message #334366] Wed, 16 July 2008 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
This is what Oracle says:
Oracle
ORA-28545: error diagnosed by Net8 when connecting to an agent

Cause: An attempt to call an external procedure or to issue SQL to a non-Oracle system on a Heterogeneous Services database link failed at connection initialization. The error diagnosed by Net8 NCR software is reported separately.

Action: Refer to the Net8 NCRO error message. If this isn't clear, check connection administrative setup in tnsnames.ora and listener.ora for the service associated with the Heterogeneous Services database link being used, or with 'extproc_connection_data' for an external procedure call.
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334381 is a reply to message #334366] Wed, 16 July 2008 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krishnamoorthi
Hi
Oracle HS service has some limits. It doesn't response the desc command n also triggers... whn we use in queries the column names must be double quotated..

Krish
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334387 is a reply to message #334381] Wed, 16 July 2008 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krishnamoorthi
Hi
I 've done this way

Create a database called northwind in any prompt. Eg) d:\northwind.mdb.

Then Create the ODBC Connection for northwind databse.

Create the HS service
Run the rdbms\caths.sql Sys account in particular DB

HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO = odbcnorth ## ODBC file Name
HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL = 0
Configure Listener in
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = south)
(ORACLE_HOME = d:\oracle\ora90)
(PROGRAM = hsodbc)
)
Configure TNS Name in
south.GRSYSTEMS =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = grs6)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = south))
(HS=OK)
)

Note:
If Listener Properties have Local system Account, you should be changed to This Account.

STOP the OracleOraHome90TNSListener service. Again
START the OracleOraHome90TNSListener service.

Create the Link for MS-Access database from oracle
(user syscreate database link nwind connect to sys identified by change_on_install using 'south.grsystems’;

STOP the OracleOraHome90TNSListener service. Again
START the OracleOraHome90TNSListener service.
select * from orders@nwind;

That’s all

If hav any doubts see this links
http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/9i/HSGenericConnectivity9i.php

Hope this...

Krish
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334514 is a reply to message #286321] Wed, 16 July 2008 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm_kanish05

hi

How to stop the listener control and How to start.

In my local machine i was install oracle 10g.

kanish
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334516 is a reply to message #334514] Wed, 16 July 2008 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krishnamoorthi
Hi

We can stop n start the OracleOraHome90TNSListener service in services(control Panel-administrative tools-services)

i've examined in oracle 9i only...

Rgds
Krish
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334526 is a reply to message #286321] Wed, 16 July 2008 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm_kanish05

hi

I got it to start n stop lisener.

but i got new problem

1. Caths.sql over.
2. MSaccess file creation over.
3. ODBC DNS over.
4. initfile over.
5. After changes applied on tnsnames.ora like below

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: G:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

ORACLE10 =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    )
  )

[B]#ORAFACCESS =
#   (description =
#    (address = (protocol=tcp)(host=localhost)(port=1521))
#     (connect_data = (sid=orafaccess))
#     (hs=ok)
#   )[/B]

(DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = PLSExtProc)
      (PRESENTATION = RO)
    )
  )

the code is placed as bold text(which applied # because it has raise problem while login so i put # for non execute)

ERROR - ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor  

so please help me

kanish

Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334528 is a reply to message #334526] Thu, 17 July 2008 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Why did you comment that entry?
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334529 is a reply to message #334526] Thu, 17 July 2008 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Huh, that's an interesting one ... I wonder whether the hen came first from an egg or the egg from a hen.

Your "egg" might be commented TNSNAMES.ORA entry for "orafaccess" database and "hen" would then be ORA-12514. Or was it vice versa?

In other words: you can't expect to successfully connect to the database whose alias is commented. Also, you must not comment entry for a database you'd like to connect to.
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334535 is a reply to message #286321] Thu, 17 July 2008 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm_kanish05

Hi
Quote:

(which applied # because it has raise problem while login so i put # for non execute)

i know when a line start with # it is commanded

evenwithout # also im getting same.

now u help me

kanish
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334538 is a reply to message #334535] Thu, 17 July 2008 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
show the relevant part of your listener.ora.
uncomment the entry in tnsnames.ora.

Which exact error did you get before commenting the tnsnames entry? And why did you think commenting the entry would help?

[Updated on: Thu, 17 July 2008 00:49]

Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334542 is a reply to message #286321] Thu, 17 July 2008 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm_kanish05

Correct question.

Im actually login system/passward
in iSql*plus
with commanding this new part
without i cant. So i coped the same.

as you ask without commanding.
tnsnames.ora

ORACLE10 =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    )
  )

ORAFACCESS =
   (description =
     (hs=ok)
   )

(DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = PLSExtProc)
      (PRESENTATION = RO)
    )
  )

and linsener.ora

# listener.ora Network Configuration File: G:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\listener.ora

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
      (ORACLE_HOME = G:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1)
      (PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
  )

LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    )
  )

(SID_DESC =
         (SID_NAME = OrafAccess)
         (program = hsodbc)
        ) 

after all this thing i stop and start listener
listener star getting failure.

/forum/fa/4646/0/

kanish
  • Attachment: sample.JPG
    (Size: 118.24KB, Downloaded 15870 times)

[Updated on: Thu, 17 July 2008 01:21]

Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334559 is a reply to message #334542] Thu, 17 July 2008 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Isn't the error clear?

Move the sid_desc into the sid_list!
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334563 is a reply to message #334559] Thu, 17 July 2008 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Just in case you didn't get it, SID_LIST of the LISTENER.ORA should look like this:
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
      (PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = OrafAccess)
      (program = hsodbc)
    )
  )
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334573 is a reply to message #286321] Thu, 17 July 2008 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm_kanish05

Now i made change as you said for your view
# listener.ora Network Configuration File: G:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\listener.ora

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
      (PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
(SID_DESC =
         (SID_NAME = OrafAccess)
         (program = hsodbc)
        ) 
  )

LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    )
  )

after changes i start the listener again the same error

/forum/fa/4650/0/

kanish

(Size: 77.77KB, Downloaded 15647 times)
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334580 is a reply to message #334573] Thu, 17 July 2008 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Check to see if you edited the correct listener.ora
My listener starts correctly, except for the fact that it whines about a target that cannot be found (I did not create the extra tnsname, because I don't want to connect to Access.)
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334584 is a reply to message #286321] Thu, 17 July 2008 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm_kanish05

hi frank,

see the screen shot

i made changes on oracle home listener.ora only

but without red coved area it is working (that mean without access listener)

i can start listener successfully, In my case i want to access database. so that only we add that area.

/forum/fa/4652/0/

kanish
    (Size: 86.29KB, Downloaded 15841 times)
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #334766 is a reply to message #286321] Thu, 17 July 2008 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm_kanish05

Hi

Please help to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance

kanish
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #345114 is a reply to message #334766] Tue, 02 September 2008 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Reported By: er.tripathi
On: Tue, 02 September 2008 13:02
In: Developer & Programmer » Forms » Oracle forms connecting SQL Server
Reason This article does not work in Red hat Linx & oracle 10g R2 . Any idea ! HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, my example uses ODBC. If I'm not mistaken that's a Wintel thingie. I'm not surprised it doesn't work for you. But to what data source are you trying to connect? Perhaps there are better solutions for you..

MHE
Re: Oracle forms connecting SQL Server [message #669501 is a reply to message #286922] Thu, 26 April 2018 05:19 Go to previous message
bala_27
can you please mention where this file($ORACLE_HOME/hs/admin/initOrafAccess.ora) which is mentioned in 3rd step is residing in our windows Sad ..
Previous Topic: Open URL in selected browser
Next Topic: Getting data in Forms from a weighing bridge through MSCOMM32.OCX
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:15:12 CDT 2024